Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A mini-vacation

Brian and I had 3 days off together so we decided to take a road trip to the beach and then to Gilroy Gardens. We got completely packed on Friday night and were out of the house at 8:00 am on Saturday. We decided to go to Santa Cruz because they have a nice beach and it's usually warmer than the Mendocino Coast. K has never been to the beach, M has been there once but he was really little. The weather in Santa Cruz was perfect... 75 degrees and very little wind (of course, we were planning to fly a kite). The kids were excellent at the beach, they mostly played in the sand and ran from the waves. M barely stuck a toe in, can't say that I blame him. The water was cooooold!! We walked on the pier, built sand castles, looked for seashells and just spent time together. I forgot how much fun the beach is... we'll go again sometime soon. After we became tired of the sand (K had it in every oriface... and had it all over her face) we went to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk which was packed and seemed very ghetto. It was dirty too. We went on the carousel and then left to go get something to eat and get to our hotel. While we were in Santa Cruz, M said "dad, is that our show-n-tell?" We were like, "what?" Then he said, "where we're staying tonight." He meant hotel!! Later in the day, he called it a showtell. Made us laugh. The kids were so pooped at dinner that K laid her head in my lap at the restaurant.

We stayed at the Best Western in Gilroy. I have to say, this was the nicest Best Western we've ever stayed in. (we don't generally stay in really nice places, it's a waste of money to me) It was very luxurious and spacious. They had a kickin' continental breakfast in the morning. To top it all off, they had 50% off coupons for Gilroy Gardens. The kids went to bed really well. They were so tired but woke up very early the next day. We were at Gilroy Gardens at 10:00 when it opened. I have to say, I was very impressed with this place. Kids between the ages of 2 - 6 would love it. Any older than that and I think they would be a little bored. They had paddle boats, a tiger and bird show, LOTS of rides for the little ones, a water park, water balloon fights and so much more. It was very clean. We thought it would be crowded but there was hardly anyone there for a weekend. M's favorite ride was the choo-choo train (of course). K especially liked the bird show. She kept making this tweeting sound just like the birds and was very impressed when they flew over our heads through a hula-hoop. She was also dancing and singing the song from Madagascar that says, "I like to move-it, move it." She's a crack up.

I took a lot of pictures (300) at the beach. Narrowed them down the best I could.


2 little indians.


Sandcastles.


Just having fun.


Walking down the beach.


We all helped.


I love the beach sand for about 3 hours... then I can't wait to take a shower.


More fun.


I love this one of K running from the waves.


Brian and the kids... obviously.


My beach beauty.


Such a cute one of K. Isn't her smile cute?


The kids and I waving to the camera.


I love this one also. Those two always take great pictures together.


We expected a little bigger engines but he still had fun.


I think she was hot and tired.


Dad and M saying "choo-choo."


K and I at the end of the day.

No comments: