Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Monday

I worked all weekend and when I wasn't working, Brian and I (OK mostly Brian) were painting our bedroom. Today I had a major work hangover so I took the kids to Ikea this morning (free childcare for 1 1/2 hours) while I wandered around the store and enjoyed my coffee. After we got home we planned on going to the pool but started playing here and before I looked up, it was 5:00 pm. I kept the kids busy with activities all day because I had some catching up to do around here. One of the things they enjoyed most was coloring on the sliding glass door - I found some window markers the other day in my craft supplies and couldn't wait to let the kids try them out. They had a great time and it cleaned up so easily with just a little Windex. I also got the ads from the Sunday paper out and asked M to go through them and cut out the things he would want. He had more fun with that ... I bet he worked on it for an hour because he also cut things out for K and myself. The things he cut out for me cracked me up ... Comet Cleanser, Lipton Iced Tea, pepperoni pizza, root beer and some ink pen (he's right about the pizza). K attempted to use the scissors but can't do it yet. M couldn't cut well until he was 4.

The kids have gotten so much easier ... I can't tell you. They still have disagreement but for the most part play together quite well now. Their favorite thing to do together is to put K's Littlest Pets on M's trains. Last week Brian and I totally gutted the playroom so it seems the kids are using it more. Another activity they are doing often is coloring. It's funny ... about a month ago M sat down to color and all of a sudden just got it - he can stay in the lines perfectly now.

K is loving preschool - the difference between boys and girls is when I pick her up from school, she will tell me everything she did. For the last 2 years, when I ask M what he did at school I get, "nothing." Typical guy, huh? She looks forward to going when I drop her off she immediately says, "good-bye Mom." It's almost embarrassing (like she just wants me to leave). She has a little bit of OCD about things ... she HAS to say good-bye and goodnight first so she says it right away. Before we even get into her bedroom, she'll say, "I wanna say goodnight to you!" She also insists on saying it to M first and he has to answer her in a certain way or she'll keep repeating it. He gets annoyed.

M has 3 days left at St. Johns. It makes me kind of sad because I love it so much. I don't want him to grow up ... I'm loving the stage he's in right now. He's a mama's boy but not in a bad way. This morning Ikea only had room for one child for the first 25 minutes so M came shopping with me ... he commented on everything I looked at and insisted on holding my hand throughout the entire store. When I took him to the play area he told me he had fun shopping with me and gave me the most wonderful smile. He is also helping out around the house a lot more and will do what I ask him to do without such a fuss.

We're leaving Wednesday morning for our camping trip to Lake Tahoe. So far we're loving the trailer and have been getting plenty of use out of it. Brian got a map of California for the playroom - he and the kids are mapping all of the places we go camping. He's taking the kids camping on his own for one night next week. He's meeting one of his friends from work and his two kids. What will I do with myself? I can't decide whether I want to stay home ALONE and enjoy it or get out and do something. Either way, I can't wait. Don't get me wrong ... I love my family more than anything but alone time is a rarity.

I have to go to bed ... why do I always stay up so late?

2 comments:

The Esslinger Family said...

Window markers - how cool! Where did you get those at?

Melissa C. said...

I want to say Michael's but I think you can get them anywhere. They are Crayola brand.