Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Camping at Lawson's Landing

After our night in the RV Park, we headed to our next destination which was Lawson's Landing. It's a huge area for camping on Dillon Beach (which is approx 7 miles from Bodega Bay). Several of Brian's co-workers have camped there so we decided to give it a try. It's just a grassy area - you set up camp wherever you want because there isn't hook-ups. We found the perfect site (with a fire-pit and table) that had a huge secluded sandy area for the kids to play and look for seashells. All we had to do was climb a little sand dune and we were at the beach but it wasn't close enough that I had to worry about the kids. They have a small general store and a pier where people seem to hang out. The only downside was it was very windy both days ... the first day was also VERY cold and we weren't dressed for it. I have a feeling it's windy often.

This camping trip was much smoother than our overnight at Folsom Lake. I don't know if Brian and I have gotten better at it or are more organized or what. The kids certainly were better this time. They played on their own a lot. At one point M was in coloring at the table in the trailer. Brian and I were shocked. They walked Roscoe a lot, played in the sand, hiked up the sand dunes over and over, searched for seashells and explored. It was so good for all of us.

I've realized the one of the most challenging things for me as a parent is to let go a little (with M). While riding his bike in the RV Park, when he got out of my site (for a minute or so ... tops) I couldn't help but worrying about all the what if's. What if he gets run over, what if someone kidnaps him, what if he gets lost ... etc. Reality check -there was very little traffic in the RV Park, stranger abductions are rare, and he could practically get me anywhere in Sacramento without getting lost. Relax Melissa. I have to remember that he is getting a little older and is very responsible. I can't imagine how I will feel when he starts driving.


Great one of M.



Looking up at our kite. It was the easiest kite flying ever because of the gusty winds.

She loved laying in the warm sand but ended up getting it all over her face and in her mouth. (see it)

Fun with the kite.

Running from the water. He had so much fun and ended up getting soaking wet .... brrrr!

Sand castles.

She wouldn't look at me but I like this one anyways.

Mr. Photogenic.

M threw the ball a few times for Roscoe but Roscoe was a little nervous with the waves. He's more of a river dog.

Our camp ... during the clean-up process. The kids climbed up this hill dozens of times and it's much bigger than it appears in the picture.

The sand dune on the other side - you're almost there K. Keep going.


I'm going to bed ... exhausted. Caught a cold while on our camping trip and have been coughing all evening. Hope I feel better tomorrow because I work all weekend.

No comments: