Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Miscellaneous Jabber

K said one of the cutest things after I gave her a good-night kiss and tucked her in tonight.  She said, "I don't want to pull my covers up very high because it might wipe your kiss off!"  She is such a cute age right now ... I don't want her to grow up.  Can't she stay this age?  She entertains herself quite well, listens and will just about be excited to do anything.  I hope when she's 14, she'll still want to hang out with me but I won't hold my breath.  Most of my friends that have teenage girls say they start wanting to hang out with their friends more and you less at about 13 and I know that's a natural thing but it makes me sad.  We were cuddling this morning and I realized that I love her SOOO much, I even like the smell of her breath.  Kind of like puppy breath, you know?  I'm sure it sounds crazy ... I'm not crazy.  I know other Moms out there will understand. 

M's been a lot sweeter to me lately but man 5 years old is just a tough age.  He wants to control everything and we have huge power struggles but I do think he's starting to listen more.  My biggest battle is getting him to sit down and do his homework or read to me.  And then, once I get him to sit down ... he doesn't put the effort into it that I'd like to see.  The strange thing is that he's not like that at school.  So ... it makes me wonder ... is it something we're doing wrong.  I've tried rewards (which haven't worked) and we don't let him watch TV or play the Wii until after homework.  I've tried having him do it later in the evening, earlier ... and on and on.  Nothing helps.  I'm going to try harder to stay calm and not get frustrated.  I can actually feel my blood pressure rise during homework time.  How many more years of this?

K's favorite things .... animals, hot cocoa, hot baths, reading, her Littlest Pets, music, dancing, pancakes, coloring, christmas carols (still)  .... did I mention animals?  I can't wait until she gets older ... I'm going to find a horse camp or something to send her to. 

M's favorite things ... he has 3 favorite things hands-down.  Star Wars Lego and Indiana Jones Lego for the Wii and his legos.  He's really outgrown his transformers, trains and a lot of his other toys.  He also enjoys sweets, playdates with his friends, PB & J, apples, coloring, chocolate milk and his Nerf gun. 

K wakes up around 6:30 am or 7:00 am and I wake M up for school at 7:00 am but he'll sleep in until 7:30 am or 8:00 am on the weekends.  It's glorious.  They still go to bed around 7:30 or 8:00 pm depending on how tired we are.  We have the same bedtime routine we've always had.  We go upstairs to watch a show in my bed, books, teeth, bed.  Sometimes we do baths in the morning and sometimes in the evening.  Bedtime is easy - they hardly ever get up.  They occasionally still wake up in the middle of the night for various reasons.  K gets up quite often but I just walk her back to bed. 

Well, I'm going to dive back into my latest obsession.  Thanks Misty ... my house is messy, my laundry is piling up and I don't care ... I can't wait to see what happens next.




Talk to you later .... Melissa

No comments: