Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Our first trip to the ER

Kyla started complaining of a tummy ache on Saturday night.  We didn't think too much about it because says her it hurts often and forgets about it.  Well, Sunday we celebrated her birthday and she said it hurt once but had a great time, ate and looked fine.  Monday the school nurse called saying Kyla had a tummy ache and I didn't hear my phone ring but by the time I called back she was already back in class.  I went about my day and the nurse called again to say she was back in there and I went to pick her up.  When she got into the car, I could tell she wasn't feeling well at all - I tried the ol' wanna snack trick and she didn't fall for it.  By the time we got home she said she wanted to go to the Dr's.  I told her she was probably going to get blood drawn and she still wanted to go.  Then I knew for sure that she didn't feel well.  I was upstairs getting changed to go and she was yelling up to me, "Why haven't we gone to the doctor's yet?"  She was miserable.  Of course, I called ahead and talked to my bestie, Astreaa.  She hand picked the doctor we wanted her to see and held a spot for us.  My jobs got to have some perks, right?

We got into a room, and Dr. Jeremy came in to see Kyla.  She was the perfect little patient and historian.  He thought it best to order labs, urine and an ultrasound.  The blood draw was pretty traumatizing for her (Astreaa did it for me) and during the draw she was holding on to me and yelling, "I wish this was a dream!"  She wouldn't move her arm for the rest of the day.  The ultrasound came back ok ... they couldn't visualize the appendix which usually means it's OK.  The urine was fine but the blood work came back very slightly abnormal.  He said we could do a CT Scan (to definitively rule out appendicitis) or just watch her closely for the next 24 hours.  I didn't want her to get any radiation unless absolutely necessary so I agreed to take her home and watch her.

It was a rough night, I even called Dr. Jeremy back to see if we should bring her back in.  She moaned and groaned and slept on Brian for most of the night.  The next morning, we took Mason to school and she came right in and wanted to build her Lego set.  200+ pieces.  She was a bit puny but ate a full lunch and played at Mason's baseball game so I knew she'd be fine.  What a relief that was.  My poor little thing ... she was such a brave little girl.  She cried but never moved during her blood draw.  I think she was the favorite patient of the day.

She fell asleep in the car on the way home - which she never does.  She insisted on keeping her "blood draw" on until she got to show her friends at school (2 days later).

No comments: