Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Rain Sticks

While browsing a blog I stumbled onto a fun craft idea to do with kids. We made rain sticks out of cardboard wrapping paper tubes. Here's a link to the directions I used. There are tons of different websites to get directions but these are the ones I used. We do a lot of craft projects but the kids had a lot of fun with this one. I was able to make this using supplies I had at home. Here are a few pictures.


The finished project. They make a beautiful sound. We used rice but you can also use beans. She is so cute in this one.

A picture of K working on her rain stick. She didn't want her picture taken ... this is the mouth she makes when she pouts. We see it often.

M ... working hard on his.

Cutting out the aluminum foil. He loves using scissors and cuts out all of my coupons.



K ... a little more cooperative.



After they completed the projects, I asked the kids to do a rain dance. It was hilarious. They giggled and danced around with their rain sticks while I tried to hum an indian song. Too fun.





His tribal face.





M funny - We worked on the project last night after I got out of the shower. I ran a brush through my hair but didn't do it. While we were sitting at the table, M said, "Mom, you look like a boy!" Then he began to laugh and said, "You look like Shaggy!!" For those of you that don't have kids ... from Scooby-Doo. He cracked up about that for a while. Not funny. His teacher told Brian that he's going to start having homework this week. We'll see how that goes.

K is doing so well with her letters now. She knows all of the letters of the Alphabet and their sounds. I think I can thank Leapfrog Letter Factory for that one. She LOVES that movie and wants to watch it every time we get in the car. She is going through a scared of everything phase and wakes up with any little noise during the night ... unfortunately we have a dog next door that only barks (only at night). Sooo, we've had some difficult nights lately. I'm going to write a letter to our HOA and if that doesn't help, I'll call our security company to come out and knock on their door every night!! M went through the same thing when he was 3. Luckily, he can sleep through anything now. She's also not eating ... anything. I don't know how she does it. She's never been a huge eater but would at least eat the food she loves - fruit. She doesn't want to eat anything lately and it's very frustrating.

My mom said I don't post weights often enough. Soooo, M is 42 pounds and K is 33 pounds.

K's tall ... I need to check her height. She wears a size 4T (sometimes 5T). I bought 4 pair of shorts on clearance from the Osh Kosh Outlet that I thought she would wear next year. They are 5T but she is able to wear them now! We'll see if they fit next year. She absolutely loves jammies and would wear them all day if I let her. She giggles and gets excited if we see them in a store and always begs me to buy them.

M wears a 5T also. He has a skinny waist so sometimes still wears a 4T. I'm glad he has to wear uniforms at school. It makes it so easy in the mornings. (and cheap)

Gotta go ... K and I are going for a bike ride before I have to go to work this evening. More when I get time.

1 comment:

The Esslinger Family said...

How Fun! Dax would love that! Our paper rolls usually end up as swords though... :) Thanks for the cool blogs to check out, from your previous post - you're right love the creative mama!!