Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Mammoth Area - Part 6

We spent 2 nights in the Mammoth area of Yellowstone.  One of the coolest things about this area were the elk.  Let me tell you, they are everywhere.  They actually water the grass in this area and the elk have figured that out and like to graze on it all day.  They usually head up the mountain at night around bedtime but spend most of their day lounging around in the town area.  Such a sight.

 
 
Such beautiful creatures ... and yummy to eat too.  We didn't tell the kids what kind of beef sticks they were eating during the trip.
 
 
 
 Bedtime, they are heading up the mountain.  This spot was right behind our cabin.  So amazing to see.  I'd like to go back to Yellowstone just to see these guys again ... and take my mom.  I think she'd love it.
 
 
There were lots of babies.
 
 
Our cabins.  They even had a cute little porch.  Because we were sick of eating out, we dined on Top Ramen and hot dogs out there.  Brian and I enjoyed wine once the kids went to bed.  :-) 
 
 
 Went outside to get something out of the car in the morning and saw this beauty before me.  Precious.
 
 
 Good times.
 
 
 Mammoth Hot Springs is a cascading tier of stones sculpted by water with minerals in it that wells up and deposits travertine and limestone each day.  It's one of the main attractions of the area.  I can't believe to tell you how bright this stuff is to look at.  Almost impossible without sunglasses.
 
 
The photographs definitely don't capture how beautiful it really is.
 
 
The Mammoth area is also home the Boiling River ... really wish I would've taken pictures here but I didn't want to get my camera wet and we were sort of in a hurry because a storm was passing through.  I can see what the hype of this place is all about.  There is a little swimming area ... a series of pools where the Boiling River feeds into the Gardiner River.  You have to be careful to stay away from the waterfall because you can get scalded but when you find the right spot, it's like sitting in a hot tub surrounded by so much beauty.  I was a nervous wreck though because my daredevil Kyla kept wanting to sit up on the rocks in the cooler area bordering the Gardiner River.  If she would have fallen backwards, she would have been swept away and gone for good.  She kept arguing with me about how she would be fine, how hot she was, etc. etc.  I couldn't relax.  Ugh, kids.
 
 

No comments: