Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Growing up

Over the past month, Mason has really started to grow up.  Where has the time gone?  I understand why people say to enjoy them while they're small because they grow up so fast.  He's become very responsible ... he comes out of his room in the morning fully clothed, with his shoes on and ready for school. I know, I know ... some of you may think  -- what's the big deal, he's 8 right?  Yes, but a month ago I'd have to nag this kid and basically tell him step by step to get ready for school.  Can you say frusterating?

Yesterday, he asked me to buy him boxers "when I get the chance".  Because everyone wears them mom.  Up until this point he's been wearing underwear (Star Wars ones to be specific).  OK buddy, no problem.  And this morning, I walked in on him putting Brian's deodorant on because he "wants to smell good".  So I asked him if he wanted me to get him deodorant so he can have his own but he said no.

He has decided to start playing basketball in November (and Kyla is going to be a cheerleader).  We were all sitting at the table talking and I told Kyla that I thought she'd be cheering for her brother but she wasn't because she would be cheering for the K-2 basketball players.  He stopped and looked and me and said you mean I'm not going to have any cheerleaders.  After I reassured him that he would have 3rd-4th grade cheerleaders he got the biggest goofy smile with glazed eyes and said, "cheerleaders".  Then we laughed about how if he spent time looking at the cheerleaders, he was going to get bonked in the head with a basketball.  

When he's not bouncing a ball off of the house and catching it, he's reading a book or drawing.  In the past 2 weeks he blown through 2 Big Nate books and 2 other Chapter Books.  I love it.  


I just snapped this picture of him independently doing his homework.  He's already been in his room for an hour and when I asked him what was taking so long he said he would do a little homework and then read some more of his book and back to homework.  Who is this kid?


Writing Journal for school.





His first big assignment this year was a Cereal Box Book Report.  He chose to do it on Stink and the Super-Galactic Jawbreaker.  It was a fun assignment -- she gave the kids templates for the top and sides of the box.  He wrote the name of the book, author and his rating on the top of the box.  On the ingredients side he had to write a list of the characters in the book and on the other side a short summary of what the book was about.  He had to come up with his own name for the cereal (relating to the book) and come up with a game and prize for the back.  He got a great grade - 90%.


Back of the box - and maze.

No comments: