Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Just jabber

So, over the past few days, I have had a horrible bout of stomach flu.  Well, the other morning, I was so miserable I was just moaning and groaning and Kyla looked at me and said, "Mom, I'm not doctor or anything, but I'd say you need to drink some water."  This girl.  I just love her.  Brian was working so she basically ran the show around here.  I was too sick to even get up with the kids before school.  Thank god, I made muffins the night before (and school lunches) so all they had to do was grab a muffin and pour some milk.  My neighborhood friends saved my life and drove the kids to school.  I called Brian and told him he was going to have to come home.  Kyla had an eye apt (doesn't need glasses) and basketball practice last night and there was just no way I could do any of it.  I basically slept from Tuesday evening until this afternoon (Thursday).  Still achy and run down but nothing like before.

Mason -

Mason is for the most part just an all around easy kid.  He does his homework without being asked.  I mean, I don't even have to check it or anything.  I just assume he'll get it done if needed.  He's a great reader and although I have a difficult time getting him to read each day, once he gets into a book, he may read for a couple of hours on the weekends, especially if we're in the car.  He's just too tired to read before bed and that's OK, I like for him to have a little time to just veg out, ya know.  Most of the books he's into are advanced for his grade level and he reads so fast.  Right now, he's working his way through the Maze Runner series.  I don't think he's ever gotten in trouble in school.  His teachers love him.  The biggest problem I have with Mason is that he is just down right lazy.  I mean LAZY.  He leaves his stuff everywhere and it's like pulling teeth to get him to do any work around here, especially hard work.  I can look around and see exactly where and what he's been doing all day.  Dishes on the table, wrappers on the couch, shoes and socks everywhere.  OMG.  Please tell me this is just a phase or that all boys his age are the same way.  Lord help me.  Drives me crazy.  He's addicted to Minecraft Videos on YouTube and he carries his iPad around all day watching them.  He doesn't hear a word I say.  What I love though is that he would much rather play outside than play video games.  All day long.  The other day he went from a basketball game, to a baseball game and then was home for about 10 minutes and went for 2 back to back 7 min miles.  He's definitely in a running kick lately and just asked to join a running club afterschool.  It's twice a week and he'll do a 5k run in April.  Love this boy.  The past week has been absolutely crazy with baseball games and practice.  He's on the Red Sox and so far they have won 4 out of 4 games.  Mason is hitting and fielding really well.  One thing about him, when he plays a sport, he's all in.  During basketball, he's out shooting baskets and now that baseball is in full swing (get it?), he wants to hit and pitch constantly.  He's a solid player at any position and believe me, they have him playing them all.  Smile.  He has been so much more affectionate with me lately (yay).  For a while, he wasn't loving on me much and would pull away when I tried.  Nowadays he will often come over and give me a kiss for no reason or a great big hug, it feels good, ya know?  I couldn't ask for much more in a son. 

Kyla -

Hmmm ... what to say about this sweet girl?  She still is a has always been a pleasure.  MOST of the time.  She's about 80% sweet and kind as can be and 20% moody, temperamental and dramatic.  And boy, when she's in a bad mood, watch out.  Everyone will suffer.  She's very sensitive if she doesn't get enough sleep (just like me).  Kyla is sweet, helpful and loving.  She tells me and shows me she loves me ALL.THE.TIME.  I love that she still asks for snuggles and random love and kisses.  True story ... when I'm sitting on the toilet, she'll try and come in and sit on my lap.  She's easy going and pretty much does her own thing ... rarely needs to be entertained.  She's super crafty ... loves to draw and create.  She has a vivid imagination and scares easily.  She's very funny and witty without trying to be.  Smile.  She's supportive of me and we really are friends.  We talk a lot and so far she confides in me when needed.  She doesn't get into the girl drama at school and never has.  Her friends are sweet and real.  She doesn't have a lot of friends but she has 3 that she really enjoys spending time with (plus a neighborhood full of girls to play with).  She chose not to play softball this year ... last year was her first and she had a crappy coach.  Hopefully she'll want to play next year.  I need to get her into something though.  Her days are busy with playing outside with the neighbors, not to mention she has a lot of homework this year.  Poor thing.  She's doing great in school too.  I figure, if I don't hear from the teachers, everything must be A-OK.  She didn't need a conference so that's good. 

These days she's very opinionated about what she wears to school.  Most days are capri black yoga pants and a t-shirt.  Jeans are a rarity.  She'll wear shorts but she's very specific as to which ones she likes.  Ugh.  She'd look so cute in a dress or skirt.  NO WAY THOUGH.  I've tried, believe me.  One day, I was teasing her and said that she had to start wearing dressing and she broke out in tears and told me that nobody in the 3rd grade wears a dress.  Also, the hair.  Must be a low pony tail or side low pony tail.  I don't fight her on these things ... if I do something else, she'll just take it out at school anyway.

Brian and I are doing well.  I can't believe it'll almost be 16 years that we've been together.  Married for 12.  Time flies.  Must go get my chores done.  Boo.



No comments: